Anyway, back to me and my DIY project. To get you in the correct mindset, let's take a look back at what I had to work with. This is what the area in between the door to the garage and the beginning of the kitchenette looked like when we started:
Pretty bad, right? But I had a vision. A vision that would not be denied. And sure enough, after two trips to Home Depot for Ted, one trip from the top floor to the basement carrying the wooden chest from Andrew's room for me and Sissy (Ted had apparently "hurt his back" reaching for a beer during the Giants game or something), and lots of measuring and drilling, my vision was realized. Here are the hooks:
And here's the chest:
Which I realize is a little beat up, and I can't wait to try that walnut trick I read about on Pinterest, but I still like about a million times better than anything I could have bought at Target. I even like that it's kind of beat up. Here's how the hooks are positioned between the cabinets of the kitchenette and the door to the garage:
Try not to be over-impressed by the fancy countertop we put in for the kitchenette. One day we'll put in butcher block and a farmhouse sink but till then we're keeping it real with fake granite and plastic cupboards. Here's the chest:
I like that the color of the wooden chest is sort of between the wood floor and the darker wood trim around the door. Trust me, it looks nice in real life. Especially the countertop. OK, not the countertop so much, but come on, one thing at a time! Here's the whole shebang:
I love it. I am IN love with it. The success of this project, coming so close on the heels of the chair recovering experiment, is going to have me believing that I can tackle anything. Which, I guarantee you, will not end well. For me or for Ted, who will very likely be held responsible for whatever goes horribly wrong. But until then, we can revel in the glory that is our new storage bench/coat hanging area. And revel we will.